I was hoping my body would last one more day, but it looks like it’s going to refuse to cooperate. I only needed a few more hours, but nope. At least I managed to get the back sides of my shelves painted before I dropped.
Although I had planned to go with basic bookcases that I already had, after filling one and a half and still having Mt. Everest-Of-Craft-Supplies stacked in my living room, I realized I needed a better solution if I hoped to get everything in here. Because I hoard hardware like squirrels do nuts, I scrounged up several ClosetMaid 84 inch standards, 104 inches of hang rail, and 17 brackets. A quick trip to Home Depot for a few more brackets, two more standards, and a sheet of MDF cut to 90 inches and divided into 12 inch boards, and I was on my way to a whole lot of linear foot storage space. 45 linear feet to be exact, plus the floor under the shelves too!
Risking life and limb, I installed the damn things by myself. There’s a lot to be said for hang rails if you have to do it yourself BY yourself. I primed all four of the MDF shelves on Friday (I’ll get two more cut when I’m back on my feet) and painted them yesterday. I’m giving them a day to cure because the South Texas humidity is atrocious right now. Once they dry, I should have plenty of room for all my goodies. If not, I have another wall where I can fit more in. Since I *am* purging things, I think what I have should be fine.
Matt desperately needed to shampoo the interior of his van and I really wanted to do my sofa before I posted it on craiglist, so we rented a Rug Doctor while we were at Home Depot on Friday. He did the van that afternoon and Saturday morning, I did my sofa, my office recliner, and the chair (and ottoman) from my bedroom that is now going in Aubrey’s room. I thought the Woolite got my recliner clean, but I was seriously wrong because the water was so gross when I finished. Surprisingly, my sofa was the cleanest of the three pieces. I busted my ass and we managed to get the machine back with 16 minutes to spare. Kinda cutting it close, I know.
Unfortunately, my super comfy office recliner was injured in the ordeal. The rear right leg somehow has detached from the frame and now my chair is listing. We’re going to try to brace it somehow, but if that doesn’t work, I’m back in the market for a recliner for the office. That royally sucks because I love this chair.
Ron has been really wonderful throughout this whole ordeal. He moved furniture, washed the cushion covers (and put them back on!), made dinner, AND made strawberry daiquiris and margaritas. Considering how much he despises DIY and having the house torn up in the process, he’s handled this whole upheaval pretty well. I think what helps is that he wanted this to be our office from the beginning, so he’s content in playing the “I told you so” card. I can live with that.